Dependent Enrollment Information

Dependent Eligibility

Subscribers are eligible to add the following dependents on their medical plan:

  • Legal spouse
  • Children through age 26 (to 26th birthday)
  • Children of court custody awards (must adhere to the age limits described above)
  • Incapacitated children have no age limit as long as they meet the incapacitated definition under the plan (PPO participants should refer to Plan Document, HMO participants should refer to Group Services Agreement)
  • Domestic Partner

The County reserves the right to verify and request proof of dependent eligibility status at any time. Parents or other adult relatives are not considered eligible dependents for County health plans and cannot be added for any reason. The Benefits Center will request documented proof of dependent eligibility (i.e., marriage certificate, birth certificate, court custody documentation, divorce decree). If an ineligible dependent has been enrolled, you may be responsible for repayment of premiums retroactive to the date of ineligibility.  Subscribers are required to notify the Benefits Center within 30-days when a dependent no longer meets the above eligibility requirements. For example: If a subscriber divorces, the ex-spouse is no longer eligible. The subscriber may be responsible for health expenses incurred by an ineligible dependent. Premiums paid for the ineligible dependent will not be refunded. When a dependent becomes ineligible, the subscriber must notify the Benefits Center within a 30-day timeframe so that the ineligible dependent can be removed from the health plan. When notified within the proper timeframe, the dependent will be provided with the opportunity to continue their health coverage under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) for up to 36 months. If the Benefits Center is not notified within the proper timeframe, the ineligible dependent may lose their COBRA rights and may not have the opportunity to continue their health coverage.

Proof of adoption, domestic partnership, or legal guardianship may be requested at any time.